S1 E33: Transforming Passion Into a Profitable Business With Miriam Schulman
If you’re a creative person who has struggled until this point to turn your passion and your calling into a successful business, then you’re going to love the conversation I had with renowned artist Miriam Schulman.
After witnessing 9/11, Miriam had a wake-up call and decided to leave her job on Wall Street to become a full-time working artist.
Since then, Miriam and her art have been featured in major publications including Forbes, The New York Times, What Women Create, Art of Man, Professional Artist, and Art Journaling.
Her artwork has also been featured on NBC’s “Parenthood” and the Amazon series “Hunters” with Al Pacino.
Her book with HarperCollins Leadership, Artpreneur: The Step-by-Step Guide to Making a Sustainable Living from Your Creativity was released earlier this year.
In addition to being a successful artist, Miriam is the founder of The Inspiration Place where she helps artists (from amateurs to professionals) develop their skills, tap into their creativity, and grow a successful art business.
She teaches her students through online classes, her business coaching programs and her internationally top-ranked podcast.
In This Episode With Miriam You’ll Discover:
- Why 9/11 was a wake-up call for her (and her connection to the first terrorist attack in the World Trade Center in 1993)
- How learning how to sell packages as a pilates instructor in NYC became a huge ah-ha moment
- Why if you’re just interested in doing something as a side hustle, you’ll do what’s convenient… but if you’re fully committed, you’ll do what it takes (and why she had “something to prove” ;))
- How she went from selling portraits to a thriving full-time artist and coach
- Why the way women in particular are conditioned to “not take up space” can keep them playing small (and how she helps artists with this)
- Why some of us are better than others at coming up with “bullshit stories” that keep us “safe” rather than going out on a limb
- What “procrasti-learning” is and how it keeps us from living our dreams
- How email marketing (not social media!) was the key to her business exploding
- Sobering stats on how many people are really seeing your stuff on social (and how to find out)
- Her experience of her first manuscript being “ripped to shreds” by an editor at a major publishing house
- The “death of the scroll” and why you can still have a majorly successful business even with a small social media audience (and how having bazillions of followers on TikTok is not the answer!)
- Why podcasts are an amazing way to grow your business and build the audience that you want (and the importance of “evergreen” content)
- MAJOR gems on how she got her podcast in the top 1% of all podcasts (and how to attract the best guests who’ll want to share it – plus the best time to get bigger names to say yes to being on your show)
- What a typical day looks like for her in her business
- Her advice on how to keep marching forward and why you don’t want to “blame your boots” (it’s not the economy ;))
- How to get the first chapter of her new book Artpreneur: The Step-by-Step Guide to Making a Sustainable Living From Your Creativity for free
Special Gift From Miriam:
Connect With Miriam:
After witnessing 9/11, Miriam abandoned a lucrative hedge fund job to work on her art full time. Since then, her art and story have been featured in major publications including Forbes, What Women Create, The New York Times, Art of Man, Art Journaling magazine as well as featured on NBC’s “Parenthood” and the Amazon series “Hunters” with Al Pacino. Check out her best-selling book with HarperCollins Leadership, Artpreneur wherever books are sold. When she’s not in the studio, Miriam splits her time between New York City and a farmhouse in the country.
About Your Host Christine Gallagher:
Subscribe and Review on Apple Podcasts: